Sunday, June 22, 2008

Selfish or Selfless?

Eros: The original unreality and vanity that entered at the fall of man, and it holds all creation in bondage. (see Rom 8:19-21)

Eros is a Greek word for love meaning:
does not seek to be accepted by its object, but to gain possession of it
has an appetite or yearning desire that is aroused by the attractive qualities of its object
it is man-centered, self-centered love recognized by three manifestations – possess, acquire, and control

Agape: The exact opposite of Eros meaning to love unconditionally, intentionally, self-giving with no expectation of receiving something in return.

Me: As I looked into my own life to see if there was any Eros or Agape I soon realized that there was plenty of both. Most often we see a mixture of self love and selfless love in our lives. I’m no where near learning to live in Agape myself but simply knowing the difference has made a big impact on my life.


John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (17) For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

John 15:12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.

Luke 10:27 He answered: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind and Love your neighbor as yourself.

2 comments:

Ruth Hillary said...

What I find interesting is that when one loves someone or something with Eros love....inevitabley they lose it. You can only posses, and control something for so long before it slips between your fingers.

However if u love someone with Agape love, then you are willing to hold him/her in open hands, knowing that u may lose them, but secure in the fact that you gave your full unbridled, unselfish love.

Better to have loved and lost, then never to have loved at all
-Alfred Lord Tennyson

If you have fully loved with Agape love, then losing the object of that love will not hurt the way it does with the object of Eros love....granted it will still hurt, but a different kind of pain I think.

Joseph Holbrook said...

good topic! I am in a hotel in Atlanta. Hoping to arrive tomorrow night before you guys leave ... maybe around 10 or 11.

I have a slightly different take on eros than Mumford does. Love based on need is not altogether bad .. it can grow into agape... I think eros is different than lust.