Tuesday, April 22, 2008

#14 - Seek First His Kingdom

The Cure for Anxiety
25"For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?

26"Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?

27"And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?

28"And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin,

29yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.

30"But if God so clothes the (AM)grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!

31"Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?'

32"For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.

33"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.


Why Seek First God’s loving rule?If we seek God’s direction in our lives as our first priority, the promise is that everything else WILL BE added to us. If we seek FIRST the good stuff: job, money, love, family – they may turn to dust and crumble in our hands. But if we seek FIRST God’s loving direction in our life, he promises to add to us all the good stuff.

5 comments:

Joseph Holbrook said...

But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you

Questions for discussion:

How do I know what God’s kingdom is for my life?

Am I seeking God’s kingdom?

Is God’s direction and leadership in my life my highest priority?

Ruth Hillary said...

That is a deep passage of the bible....

Personally:

I'm not sure how I know what God's kingdom for my life is. I believe I am seeking God's kingdom, though I think I could be seeking harder. And no, I don't think His direction and leadership in my life is my highest priority right now, although I am trying to make it one.

So how do we know what God's kingdom is for our lives? Any pointers Joe? hehe

Joseph Holbrook said...

I have always liked the Guayavera illustration: if you start 'right' with the first botton at the top, when you get to the last botton it will line up.

One way of looking at seeking FIRST the kingdom is to do it first thing in the day when you wake up... start the day with a prayer of "not my will...but yours be done"

...this is not a game of what the "F" I want ... but what does BOB want?

John W Holbrook said...

I think american's have diminished what seeking first the kingdoms by creating what we call "Quiet Time." Quiet timme usually consists of 5 minutes of disorganized thought proccess in which we really are only striving to create "spiritual" feelings so that we feel better about ourselves.

I think in reality if we truly want to seek first the kingdom of Bob then we need to push through the initial childishness that we experience into a deeper place of comunnion with the Father. /shrug

SarahtheDancer said...

I LOVE the tag line under the title of Bob's Death Star Cantina. But I really think you should add "It's a question of who the hell is BOB?"

LOLOLOLOL